First thing’s first – Happy New Year! My apologies for reviewing a December box in January, but I went on a long trip to visit family for the holidays and I’m still catching up! There will be more where this comes from. Anyway, I had the opportunity to test out SquareHue (a nail polish subscription) last month. Check out what they sent out in their December box!
SquareHue is a monthly nail polish sub that sends you 3 pre-selected, full-sized nail colors each month. It’s $14.99 (+ $5 shipping) for a grand total of $20/month. For December, as a part of their Passport Collection, the theme was “Rovaniemi” – which, as it turns out, is officially known as Santa’s hometown. Who knew?
The Rovaniemi set included three colors, a cranberry red micro glitter called Joulupukin Pajakyla, a textured gold micro glitter called Sampokeskus, and a festive matte green called Revontuli. The product card didn’t explain the names, so I had a little fun with Google. Here’s a breakdown on where the names come from:
- Joulupukin Pajakyla: Finnish for “Santa Claus Village” – a year-round Christmas tourist attraction found at the Arctic Circle in Rovaniemi, Lapland in Finland. This place looks intense! Like, I’m pretty sure this is what being in a snow globe would feel like.
- Sampokeskus: This is actually a shopping centre located within the snow globe that is Joulupukin Pajakyla!
- Revontuli: Finnish for “Fox’s Fire” – check out this story about how this relates to Aurora Borealis for the deets!
In my research about SquareHue, I came across some pretty cool information. Here are some of my favorite things about it:
- Each month, a portion of your subscription expense is donated to a worthy cause. Right now, they’re focus is on Human Trafficking and funds are being donated to the A21 Campaign! Gotta love treating yourself and helping others at the same time!
- They use a “5-Free” formula, meaning that their polishes do not contain Formaldehyde, Toluene, DBP, Camphor, or Formaldehyde Resin.
- SquareHue does not test on animals!
- Their polishes are made here in the USA.
- You can suspend, pause, or cancel your subscription at any time. (I LOVE subs that allow you to skip months here and there!)
Also, I’ve gotta say, I really like their branding. The bottles are very cute and they leave blank space on the bottle, which I think is really helpful when you’re trying to visualize a color. Seems like a really fun brand, too.
I really like all three colors, but the red is my favorite. Unfortunately, I didn’t get any pictures of the gold before I went on vacation and managed to break not one, not two, but THREE of my nails and ended up cutting them all down. So, I’m going to spare you my ugly gold nails, but here’s a photo of the green & red, and some swatches of all three colors.
For 2015, SquareHue will be putting out The Decades Collection all year – “Each month you’ll receive a special set of 3 nail polish colors curated to keep you at the forefront of fashion while harkening back to years gone by.” Sounds pretty interesting to me!
Have you ever tried SquareHue before? I’ve love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!
Disclaimer: I received a complimentary SquareHue box for review purposes. I did not receive monetary compensation for this post and all opinions expressed are 100% honest and my own.